Thursday, May 30, 2013

Zombies Eat People - Don't Be Dinner! (Or An Appetizer...)


Okay, so I *MIGHT* be a little obsessed over zombies. But let's face it, zombies are no less possible than a nuclear attack, especially after the incidents with the dude that ate another dude in Miami. Even the CDC (Center for Disease Control) put out this handy Zombie Preparedness 101 page! Granted, their thinking is that if you're prepared for zombies, you're prepared for damn near anything. But isn't that the point? I mean, if zombies really attack, you have to be prepared for anything, because we have no way of really truly knowing what kind of zombies we'll be dealing with, or how to survive them. We just have to be as prepared as possible, and hope for the best while expecting the worst. 








So, my lovely and intrigued readers, why should you worry about zombies? They're fictional, right? 

WRONG! I again reference the dude in Miami, and if you never heard of it or saw anything on the news about it, get out from under your rock and check out this video. 









***WARNING!!! This video is not intended for children, the faint of heart, anyone currently eating anything, or those easily offended!!




For anyone who still believes zombies are NOT a possibility, go find Mr. Poppo, the victim, and ask his opinion on the incident. 



I thankfully have started putting together a Zombie Survival Kit for myself. It's a slow process, picking up pieces to add here and there. When I hit the lottery and can buy a whole bunch of stuff, I'll be stocking up big time. As it sits, though, here's what I'm doing to prepare:


  • In my basement, I have a table with two chairs set up and ready for when we have to take shelter. Also in the basement is a couple of gallons of water, a couple of bottles of water, several cans of tuna, a bag of beef jerkey, cereal bars, fruit cups, and a box of Triscuits to feed the humans. There's also a ziploc bag of dog food, a ziploc bag of cat food, a container for each and a bowl for water. I have plenty of blankets and pillows down there and easy to grab if needed, along with a tarp.
  • I have a "Go Bag" that's ready for me to grab and go if an emergency arises. It's filled with things I may need in an emergency. Candles, a lighter, two flashlights, a bag with all my backup medicines, a bag of toiletries (hey, I'm a girl and not ready to completely resort to barbaric acts to address certain situations...), a roll of TP, wet wipes, a change of clothes for both me and my husband, two bottles of water, a first aid kit, a box cutter, and a bunch of batteries.
  • We have two guns, one is a handgun, the other a rifle. The rifle is down in the basement with a clip beside it, ready to pop in if needed. The handgun we keep near the bed in case we need it to get to safety, with plenty of ammo next to it. It's easy to grab the gun and ammo as we grab the go bag and head out to safety, whether that's the basement or a safe zone. 

Clearly, there are still a lot of things we need, and I could really use a better bag for my go bag, but it's a work in progress, and better than what a lot of people have. 




Do you have an emergency survival kit or a zombie survival kit? What do you have ready in case of emergency? Share your level of preparedness in the comments!!


17 comments: