Monday, February 11, 2013

Something Wicked This Way Comes...

So, you're back? Hm. I didn't try hard enough to scare you away last time...

I kid, I kid. Welcome, my little pretties. We've touched on a bit of history and some good witches in pop culture, I think the way to bring Witchy Weekend to a close is to end with the top ten "bad" witches. These bad girls might make you think twice about crossing a witch! Check it out:

10. Rita Repulsa from The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - This chick was grossly underrated. Despite the fact that her plans were always foiled by the teenage heroes, and her headpiece looked like it was straight out of Star Wars: The Fashion Menace, she was still pretty badass. Yeah, okay, her audio didn't quite match with the words her lips were forming, but so what?






9. Queen Bavmorda from Willow - Oh, yes. Yes, this chick was seven different kinds of batshit crazy. Stealing the baby Elora Dannon and trying to kill Willow...not cool. But did you see the crap she could do? Why do bad witches seem to have the coolest powers? And this is only the beginning!







 8. The Grand High Witch from The Witches - She was a bad mother who turned that little boy into a mouse and met with the other witches who wanted to eat the kids! Oh, and did you happen to see her face? Seriously, a meat grinder would only improve her looks when she drops the pretty Angelica Houston face. YUCK!















 7. Ethel Hallow from The Worst Witch - Yeah, I know, I have a slight obsession with some movies, and this one seems to be at the top of my abused movie list. But there was still no denying this snobby little brat was pretty talented, calling up a spell to bewitch Mildred's broom at the drop of a hat. She knew her stuff. It wasn't enough to make her the heroine of the story, and nothing made me happier than the ending of the movie when she was just pissed, but still...




 6. Witch Hazel from Looney Tunes - I freaking LOVED Witch Hazel. She was the funniest witch, drawn to extreme hilarity, and nothing ever went right for her. Bugs was always outsmarting her. I think I was just crazy about Looney Tunes in general, but my love for witches made her especially fun to watch!









 5. Winifred Sanderson from Hocus Pocus - Oh, Winnie, how I loved you through the years! You can resurrect the dead, charm a crowd with song, and steal the life force of children to keep yourself young and...and...well, you're not quite what humans would call beautiful, but you keep believing you are!


 4. Bellatrix LeStrange from Harry Potter - She doesn't seem to have any super specific powers that no other witch in the movie has, but she's good at being bad. Again, not the prettiest, but hey, at least she has a nose! However, this chick just makes bad be sexy and strong.






 3. Agatha Cackle from The Worst Witch - Okay, okay, I'll look into therapy for this movie addiction that I may or may not have. Aside from that, she's just fun to watch, and her fake southern accent with a strong British sound makes her voice sound ridiculous. I can't recall now if she ever actually did any real magic in the movie, but again, this was one of those movies where the power was in spells and potions, rather than the really fun stuff.









 2. Nancy Downs from The Craft - She took a sexy badass witch to a whole new level, making the goth look hot and fun, then taking it to a complete and total psycho level. Fun note: Fairuza Balk is the actress who played Nancy, and she ALSO played Mildred Hubble in The Worst Witch, plus she's a real-life witch! Just goes to show that real witches have a sense of humor too. But Nancy...yeah, she did some really bad stuff and irreparably screwed up her life. Her power would be nice, but the part where she ends up in a straightjacket? No thanks.




 1. The Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz - Like you didn't already see this one coming. If the only #1 good witch can be the Good Witch of the North, is there any question that the #1 bad witch is the Wicked Witch of the West? Seriously, she is the most well-known bad witch, and inspired the look of bad witches everywhere, not to mention a Wicked Broadway production called...Wicked. Hehe. This woman stole the hearts of millions, and she's here to stay as the epitome of a bad witch.



There ya have it kids. A good deal of witchy goodness. (And let's face it, there's bound to be more to come soon!) Hope y'all enjoyed hearing my thoughts and opinions, and maybe you walked away from it a little wiser. Till the next post, may you have all the love and insanity your minds can handle.

26 comments:

  1. OMGosh...I loved the Worst Witch...and man was the Craft a good one. Excellent Post Ashley. Enjoyed it immensely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thank ya! And yes, those are two of my favorite movies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot all about the Craft! I want to see that movie now! I found you via Goodreads and am a new follower. Please follow me back at sychofaeriesbookobsession.blogspot.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved The Craft. Like, seriously, my cousins and I watched it all the time since we're only a couple of years apart. We might have been a teeny bit obsessed!!

      I did join your blog with friendconnect. Thanks so much!! <3

      Delete