Saturday, February 9, 2013

Witchy Weekend Part 1

There's no shortage of witches in books, TV, and movies, let alone in actual history. It's something that's influenced and shaped generations of women in more ways than I can count, and even a handful of men. Witchcraft is more than just casting spells and making potions; it's a way of life and a religion. Despite the gruesome history, though, there is a lighter side to the history of witchcraft, and that would be making into a fantasy. Taking such negativity and turning it into super magical powers that many people crave was ingenious.

My book series, Daughters of Night, is a vampire story with a strong witchcraft influence. I'm currently working on the third and final book in the series, Daughters of Night: Tribulation, and this one is going to have far more witchcraft than the first two had.  This weekend, I'll be dishing on my favorite good witches, my favorite bad witches, real witchcraft, and witches in history, including the Salem Witch Trials. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this first installation of the very first Witchy Weekend!!


Top Ten Good Witches in Pop Culture

10. Louise from the movie Teen Witch - How cute was she? And she learned a very valuable lesson-magic doesn't solve everything. I totally tried calling the wind and making myself popular. It didn't work so well for me...


 9. Samantha Stephens from Bewitched (the series, not the movie) - Who on the face of this planet since the first episode of Bewitched has not tried to wiggle their nose and make stuff happen? I would sit in my room practicing this for hours. Apparently, the nose thing was just Samantha's card. Still working on finding mine!


 8. Holly Cathers from the Wicked book series - This chick has some power! Seriously, I absorbed myself in this series, dreaming of having her strength. There was the fire, and the...well, I don't want to spoil the book, but dang, I could use some of her power, that's for sure. Maybe less curse.


 7. Willow from the series Buffy the Vampire Slayer - We all remember the band geek from the American Pie movies (if you don't, get your uncultured ass out of your parent's house and go watch those movies!), but those of us vampire and witch fans came to love and hate her as Willow, Buffy's friend/sidekick turned witch who became a lesbian witch then lost herself when her girlfriend died. I didn't finish the series, but dang, she was wicked awesome. Sure, her character was a little questionable, but the line between good and bad is gray anyway.


 6. Sally Owens from the movie Practical Magic - I can't tell you how many times I've tried to light a candle simply by blowing on it. That's not working either (this whole fantasy magic doesn't seem to be working out in my favor) but I'm hoping one day to get the hang of it! But I think what I admired most about her was her passion. Whatever she did and whatever she felt, it was with such passion and emotion that it nearly took her to the brink of insanity, death, and murder. Admirable characteristics, if you ask me.


 5. Luna Lovegood from the Harry Potter series - Now, the fact that I named my cat Luna has no bearing on my appreciation for this character, but it did turn out pretty ironic that my cat is as loony as Luna from Harry Potter. She is one very weird girl, but pure and almost innocent. She has a secret strength she doesn't show until it's just the right time, and a cool-headed demeanor. I think we could all use a little Luna Lovegood in our lives.


 4. Piper Halliwell from the Charmed TV series - Piper was a family woman through and through, and being a witch did not deter from that. Well, maybe it made things a bit more difficult. But she knew what she wanted, and she made it happen. Just goes to show that women are creatures stronger than diamond and more passionate than even we realize.


 3. Hermoine Granger from Harry Potter - Oh, you didn't think I'd forget the great Hermoine, did you? With a brain the size of Jupiter and wits to match, her loyalty to her friends wraps up her phenomenal abilities and power into a force not to be screwed with. I don't think you'd wanna go against her, she'll kick your ass without lifting a finger. All she'll do is wave a wand, utter a couple of words, and your butt will be begging for mercy. I'll take her brain and a badass wand, and I should be good to go!


 2. Mildred Hubble from The Worst Witch - I grew up watching this movie every Halloween. Actually, it was more like several times a day every Halloween season for about 3 weeks. I was obsessed, and I loved the klutzy, unlucky, misfit leading lady, Mildred, a young child enrolled in Miss Cackle's International Academy for Witches-a prestigious school for witches to learn and grow. She just reminded me so much of myself, and her story had a happy ending. I still cling to the idea that I'll eventually have my happy ending too.

(pardon the low quality, it's an old movie!)

 1. Glinda the Good Witch of the North from The Wizard of Oz - Come on, like there could be any other #1 good witch than the one who wore the pink puffy dress and helped get Dorothy on her way to see the wizard. Although, arguably, she could be considered the bad one, since she knew the answer all along and could have just told Dorothy how to get home and saved her the headache.Still, I think she is the world's good witch, and the title shall remain with her until someone finds a better good witch. Maybe I'll create one...


So thus ends the countdown of the good witches. Join me again later for the bad witches and perhaps a bit o' history.


No comments:

Post a Comment