Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Seed of Obsession-Why I Want My Books To Be Like Twilight

So, I'm stumbling along, looking for something of substance to blog about, and I come across a page that was too good of a concept to pass up.

A detailed description of why Twilight sucks, in the article author's opinion.

Let me preface this by saying I love Twilight. I love vampires, witches, werewolves, fairies, anything paranormal, anything Young Adult, and anything that catches my eye. (Of course, I like other things too, but let's just set the stage.) And I'm totally game for a good joke or two poking at the series. It comes with the territory, not everyone is going to like the same things I like. I'm sure I've had a few people read my books and think the same thing.

What struck me as odd was not only how insulting this guy was about the book, the movie, the characters, and the author (Stephenie Meyer), but the part that really shocked me was how much he really knew about it. Sure, he read it, but more than that, he actually dissected the characters and even counted the number of times that Stephenie Meyer used a particular phrase. He knew the detailed descriptions (or lack thereof, in the author's opinion) of the characters.

What the article's author doesn't seem to realize is that he debunked his whole theory. Twilight got inside his head. It planted the seed, which grew and grew until he was obsessed with the story to the point that he had to go out and write this long article about the book.

Which just goes to show that while not everyone will enjoy every book, some books have the ability to force their way inside your head and whether it be negative or positive, it sinks its claws (or fangs) deep inside your mind. As an author, I can only hope my books inspire people to obsess over them as much as this article writer obsessed over Twilight. Good, bad or ugly, publicity it just that-publicity. It puts your name out there as an author and gets people to think about you. Was it positive? Not so much. But I bet people talked about it. And that's what matters.



I hope like hell someone criticizes me and makes more people talk about me and my books. Because the more people know about me, the more that seed is going to grow in their minds. Do I want all bad publicity? No way. But I wanna grow inside your mind.




1 comment:

  1. Excellent post. I loved the fact that even 'he' didn't get the truth...that he was pulled in...just like the many others. :)
    Cheers,
    Michala
    www.bitemybook.com

    ReplyDelete