HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
It's a brand new start for us all, and I for one am incredibly happy to be DONE with 2013! I'm eager to see what kind of awesomesauce 2014 delivers, cause it's gonna be a damn busy year!
For my first official post of 2014, I bring you How to Break Your Resolutions in One Day!
It's inevitable. No matter how many times we set New Year's resolutions, we always end up breaking them - most during January, and a good chunk of them in the first week. Why? Well, here's a few reasons:
1. You set unrealistic goals. If you say, "This year I'm going to go to the gym five days a week!" you can bank on breaking that resolution in the first month. You very well may be athletic already, but it never fails, for some reason you can't go to the gym for a solid 5 days in a week. Once you break that streak, it's pretty friggin difficult to motivate yourself to not do it again! And may God have mercy on you if you're a couch potato making that resolution...
2. You set unrealistic goals. Why is this repeated? Because it's SO easy to set an unrealistic goal! Maybe your goal isn't the gym, maybe it's to quit smoking, or to make more time to volunteer. Those are all good goals, but they're just unrealistic (to some, not to everyone!) when it comes to making a die-hard commitment. Chances are, you'll think really hard about it and even make plans, but never actually follow through with the volunteer work. Maybe you'll try really hard to quit, but if you're still smoking in June, perhaps your goal should've been to cut back on smoking. Either way, stop setting unrealistic goals!
3. You don't think these things through. On New Year's Eve you and your buddies are all sitting around drinking and someone has the bright idea to go skydiving nude. Well, skydiving nude sounds great when you're drunk, but in the light of sobriety...maybe your New Year's resolutions need a makeover.
4. You jumped on the bandwagon. I can give you a list of about twenty people off the top of my head whose resolution was to drink less, or to try new things, or god only knows what the newest fads are...lol. Y'all are nutso! Be your own person, don't say you're going to do something (that you and I both know you have no intention of actually doing) just because someone famous or popular thinks it's cool. Do you! Do what's right for you, not what's right for everyone else.
5. You don't take these things seriously. And why should you? It's not like you're going to actually follow through with anything you say you're going to do anyway, right? Ugh, get up off your lazy ass throne, yank thy royal head from thy royal ass, and don't act like you're too good to make yourself a better person. Have an ounce of dignity and if you say you're going to do something, be a man or woman and just do it!
Now, since I accidentally forgot to post my resolutions on New Year's Eve like I'd planned (oops!), here's what I decided are my resolutions this year:
1. Meditate more to help myself find inner peace.
2. Stress less - life is gonna happen the way it happens, and sometimes I can't control the cards.
3. Love myself - because if I can't love my own self, how can I expect anyone else to love me?
4. Continue breathing as long as possible.
5. Focus more on my blessings than my pitfalls - remember the story about the two wolves.
So tell me, what are YOUR resolutions??