Thursday, July 4, 2013

Kindness is What You Make of It

I was sitting here trying to think of a way to do something nice and kind today without having to leave home, courtesy of the wonderful rainy weather. Then it dawned on me. Kindness doesn't have to be some big extravagant act. It doesn't have to impact a million lives, or be a life-changing event for one person. All it has to do is bring a smile to someone's face. That, my friends, is kindness.

For today's act of kindness, I didn't have to look further than my own cell phone. I grabbed my phone and made a few phone calls to people I haven't talked with in far too long. 

Starting with my Mamaw. I have to say that the 45 years separating us in age doesn't stop us from finding things to talk about, and I love hearing how her voice lights up when she gets to talking. It's like a kid in a candy store when she gets an unexpected phone call from someone, and I simply adore those phone calls. I need to make them more often. Plus, she brightened my day too. It's such a dreary looking day outside, and we were talking about it, and her words made me smile when she said, "If we can just look between the rain drops we can see happiness through the clouds." Good lord, that is a WONDERFUL thought! I'm so totally using that quote in my next book, one way or another.

Then I called my Aunt Mandy, who isn't that much older than me. I haven't talked to her in months, maybe even a year or more! But I gave her a call and we sat here laughing while reminiscing about all the crazy stuff we used to do when we were younger. It was  nice to spend that kind of time just BS-ing and goofing off. 

It wasn't a grand act of kindess, but it made a difference in the lives of two people, and that's all that matters. I call today a win for kindness. On to tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment