Monday, October 22, 2012

Haunting Interview with R.G. Porter!!










Mwahahahaha!! Good evening, my ghostly ghouls, my fiendish followers! It is time again to meet another new indie author, and in the good spirit of Halloween, this week's author has recently published the horror novel, Deadly Descent. Ladies and gentlemen, witches and demons, it's my ghastly honor to introduce you to the devilishly delightful indie author, R. G. Porter!! Okay, I'm done with the lame alliteration and corny Halloween references! Enjoy this haunting interview with R.G. Porter! 




(Okay, that was the last one, I swear!)













DSP: For starters, tell us a bit about you, we like to get to know our authors as a person! 

R.G. Porter: Well, I currently live just outside Austin, Texas. I grew up in the Midwest and moved around a bit before settling here. I’m married to a Brit and we hope to move back there down the line. (Love England!) I have two kids (both boys) and two cats. :) I love animals and the outdoors but can’t get enough or just daydreaming while sitting in the car driving through the woods. 


DSP: Nice to meet you! So tell us, where did you find the inspiration for your most recent book? 

R.G. Porter: A dream. Honestly, many of book ideas come from dreams that I’ve had. I learned long ago to remember what I dream. I even got pretty good at lucid dreaming (which can be a total blast at times). I also tend to watch a ton of supernatural thrillers and horror movies.


DSP: So, do you have any kind of ritual for writing? Such as, you have to write with music on, or you can only write when you’re completely alone, etc?  

R.G. Porter: It depends on where I’m at when I’m writing. If I’m at home, I need to have music going because I can get sidetracked way too easy. (Swear I’m ADD) If I’m on break at my day job than I’m good with whatever I have going on. Mainly because I’m already in the frame of mind of working.


DSP: Who is your favorite character in your book, and why? How about the character you had the most trouble with? 

R.G. Porter: I love the two main characters (Tori and John), however, I adore a character that kind of came out of no where in the middle of the book. Her name is LJ and she is just fun to watch. She’s sassy, sarcastic, smart and fun. I had a harder time with figuring out how to deal with Derrick in the book. He’s not bad, but he loves money and power. That can always be a dangerous combo. 


DSP: Now, when you sit down to write a book, a paragraph, or whatever you‘re working on at the moment, do you just sit down in front of the computer, or do you need an outline of some sort? 

R.G. Porter: Is there any other prep you need in order to organize your thoughts either before you write or in the process of writing? For the most part, I’m a total pantser. I write as it comes to me. I will do rough outlines of the overall story arch and different aspects of the characters, but I generally just let the story flow. I find it works better for me, as twists I might not have thought of beforehand come to light.


DSP: Do you foresee any more books to continue this story? If so, do you think we can get a taste of what’s to come? 

R.G. Porter: There is definitely a possibility of at least one followup to this story. I can’t say why, because it would spoil the ending. :)


DSP: Other than this most recent story, do you have any ideas for different books that might be published in the future? Care to give us a teaser? 

R.G. Porter: I have too many ideas. :) I have 3 series that require additional books but I also have another horror novel idea (or two) that are dying to be written. One of them should be out sometime in 2013. The next project on tap is a short novella though. It is a bit different and involves an agent of the MCA (Mystical Creatures Agency). It’s not horror but a ton of fun so far. Think of the FBI version for the Fae world. After that it will either be the next in the Demon’s Gate series (my vampire series) or the next book in my Dragon’s Legacy trilogy.


DSP: Who is your greatest inspiration to write? What person makes you believe in yourself, and how? 

R.G. Porter: I have many dear author friends who are always a great support and resource for me. The world of indie authors is a very tight one and I am grateful each day for them all. On top of that I have a wonderful husband that supports my writing adventures, though he is good at keeping me grounded as well. 




DSP: Do you have any aspirations to be similar or comparable to another author? Why? 

R.G. Porter: As much as I would love to hit the bestseller lists I’m happy just knowing that my adventures are getting out there to the public. Though, there are a couple of my stories that I think would be fantastic as movies, but screenwriting is an entirely different animal that I have never attempted. 


DSP: Okay, one last question, and this one is different for every author, not to mention completely off the wall! When the Zombie Apocalypse occurs, what will be in your survival kit? 

R.G. Porter: How big is it? :) Okay, off the top of my head. Let’s see. Guns, MREs (icky but hey, can’t be picky), fresh water, survival guides, matches/lighters, first aid items, blankets, clothing, and utility knives.





Well, this wordmaster seems to have a plan ready for the dreaded zombie attacks, plus the mad skills to make you nervous alone in the dark while reading her work. As a special treat for our readers (no tricks!), R.G. Porter is graciously giving away a free copy of her eBook, Deadly Descent, in honor of this Halloween season. Simply comment on any post from now until Sunday, 10/28/12, to be entered into a drawing for this free eBook. Super exciting stuff, so make sure you get in on this giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment