Monday, December 31, 2012

Auld Lang Syne Exposed

"Should auld acquaintance be forgot
 And never brought to mind?
 Should auld acquaintance be forgot
 And auld lang syne."



How many people sing this every year at the stroke of midnight on January 1st, ringing in the new year? Millions. Maybe billions, I don't know the exact number. Never bothered with a poll. But regardless, we all learn this song early in life, and we know to sing it at the same time each year. 




What most people don't know, however, is the origin and meaning of the song.







Auld Lang Syne is an old Scottish poem. It was written in 1788 by a Scottsman named Robert Burns. Translated, "auld lang syne" means "old long since," or more commonly, "old times." It is traditionally sung on what is known in Scotland as Hogmanay, the last day of the year, but spread quickly to other parts of the world. Made popular by Guy Lombardo in America, it has since become the staple song to be sung on New Year's Eve.

But, Ashley, what does it mean??? Hold your panties, folks, I'm getting there. But don't expect me to interpret the lyrics to the whole song, now, cause it's, like, 50 verses long. Give or take a few...


"Should auld acquaintance be forgot
 And never brought to mind?
 Should auld acquaintance be forgot
 And auld lang syne."

This is a rhetorical question. It's a reminder to not forget about the old times and friendships or relationships. A very appropriate thing to remember as another year draws to a close. Before we forge ahead with a new year, don't neglect the things that happened in the passing year.

"For auld lang syne, my dear,
 For auld lang syne,
 We'll tak a cup o' kindess yet
 For auld lang syne."

Basically, it's like saying "Cheers, for old times' sake." Here, for auld lang syne would mean "for old times' sake" and the cup o' kindness here being like a toast, or a drink shared around a circle. In modern times, I'd say a toast is a better interpretation. :)

"And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp
 And surely I'll be mine
 And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet
 For auld lang syne."

There is much debate about this verse, but a pint-stowp seems to be a pint tankard, which is basically a glass. Roughly translated, from what I've read, it means we gonna get drunk, and toast to kindness and old times' sake. Some folks feel that this part means you'll buy your own pint, and I'll buy mine. Others think it means you'll be the vessel through which your own drink flows, and I'll be the vessel through which my own drink flows. Either way, drink up!!

CHORUS 

And I'm gonna stop there, because I don't have interpretations for the rest, and I honestly don't have the brain power to decipher it myself. Although I will post the rest of the lyrics, and if anyone reads this and wants to contribute definitions, please feel free to comment below! 

(And if I'm WAY off base on the ones above and you know it, correct me in the comments, but blame Wikipedia and all the other random sites I researched!!)

"We twa hae run about the braes,
 And pu’d the gowans fine ;
 But we’ve wander’d mony a weary fit,
 Sin auld lang syne."

CHORUS


"We twa hae paidl’d i' the burn,
 Frae morning sun till dine;
 But seas between us braid hae roar’d
 Sin auld lang syne."

CHORUS

"And there’s a hand, my trusty fiere!
and gie's a hand o’ thine!
And we’ll tak a right gude-willy waught,
for auld lang syne."

CHORUS




There ya have it folks. In taking pride in my Scottish heritage, I too will be singing this song tonight (although my pint-stowp will be filled with soda, cause I don't drink very often at all!) and I wish you all a very Happy New Year! 










Hellooooo, 2013!!





No comments:

Post a Comment