Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Tuesday's Top Ten - Favorite Christmas Songs

My Top Ten Favorite Christmas Songs. 

Yeah, everyone's doing it. They do it every year. That's why I'm doing it first and getting it over with! So without further ado, let's count them down from ten to my number one favorite Christmas song. 

10. The Night Santa Went Crazy - Okay, with all the recent violence in schools and all the recent deaths, I may catch some hell for this one, but if you set aside recent events and take the song for what it really is, you'll see it's nothing but a parody, just a Christmas song with a twisted plot. Anything by Weird Al Yankovic is bound to be filled with weirdness and potentially psychosis, but I think that's what makes me continue to listen to his songs. It's different, it's funny, and it makes me smile when I watch the video.




9. Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer - A classical Christmas tune about a little old grandma who perhaps should have gone a bit easier on the eggnog, and met her demise courtesy of a reindeer pulling Santa's sleigh. How can you not know and love this song? It's so much fun! An unlikely tragedy, but nonetheless fun.




8. Do You Hear What I Hear - Another Christmas staple, and one of the few slower, non-parody, non-funny songs that I truly enjoy each Christmas season. This one reminds me of being a child and attempting to grow up in a world filled with chaos. It was spending time with my family, decorating the Christmas tree, wrapping presents, and everything that Christmas encompasses. 




7. Sleigh Ride - Come on, like you don't sit there and tap your toes at this one? It's so darn fun! Plus, this one also has special meaning for me, it was a song we played when I was a band geek in high school. Or maybe middle school...no, I think it was high school. Either way, I really loved band, and I remember the first time I heard this song and I loved it right away. Everytime it comes on, I'm dancing around and acting like a fool. 




6. The 12 Redneck Days of Christmas - Now, not many people can appreciate this song for what it truly is. This song, while it is a bit of an exaggeration, depicts the story of what a redneck may potentially receive as gifts, and each one has a meaning. Being a bit of a redneck and coming from Eastern Kentucky (Google it if you've never been there, or you cannot appreciate this reference either) I find this to be very fitting. I love it, because I can relate as well. And it's frickin' funny as hell.




5. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus - I know what you're thinking. Yes, I'm really including this one in my top ten, and here's why. As a child, we all wanted to stay up late and see Santa. We all needed that verification that he really truly existed. Now imagine, if you will, waking up and heading out to the living room (or wherever your tree may have been) only to find out that mommy is a whore and is cheating on daddy. Now imagine all the stinking presents you're gonna get for keeping this knowledge to yourself. Well, at least in theory, anyway, because you don't yet know that Daddy is Santa. And just imagine them trying to explain their way out of this one to an eight-year-old.




4. You're a Mean One (Mr. Grinch) - Now we're really getting into my super awesome favorites. While I love a lot of Christmas music, this one should make us all feel like kids again. I can't go a Christmas season without watching certain movies (that's another list for another day...) and this song strikes a chord that makes me wiggle and sing along every time. Try it. Try to not sing along. It's too darn catchy. Now, try getting this beast out of your head.




3. Christmas Don't Be Late - Ah, the beloved Chipmunks Christmas song that will never ever ever die. It's the only Christmas song sung by fictional characters that captured the hearts of all children and kids at heart, and has only gained fans over the years. It's a true classic, and a fun song all-around. It has been remade into a remix version for the live-action movie. It needs no further introduction.




2. Christmas Comes But Once A Year - Many of you may not know or recognize this song, but when I was younger and my little brother was barely more than a baby, we used to watch this old cartoon by the same title, involving an orphanage wracked by devastation on Christmas morning and a character named "Grampy" making it a thousand times better. I have this song rattling around in my head every so often and up until this year, I hadn't seen the cartoon in nearly 20 years. (I feel old that I can say that and remember 20 years ago...) Luckily for you, the whole cartoon is below. Enjoy a piece of my childhood.




1. Mary Did You Know - To say I'm not a religious person is a gross understatement. But this song grips my heart in a way that I didn't know possible. I love this song. I wait all year to get to hear this song, and the video makes me cry. I love it. Their voices sound so beautiful together on this song, and I'm a far cry from a fan of either of these artists. I truly love this song more than I should. I heard it when I was younger, and it stuck with me for even longer than my #2 song. I will listen to this song over and over and over again this year. 




And there you have it. Agree with me, disagree with me, either way, this is my list of my Top Ten Favorite Christmas Songs, and I even included videos. Up next for Wednesday...my Top Ten Pet Peeves of Christmas. Oh, this should be a good post...stay tuned for drama out the wazoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment