Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve's Top Ten - Christmas Movies

I cannot tell a lie, I have watched very few Christmas movies this year. Not because I didn't want to, but because I've been too busy to breathe, let alone pause long enough to watch movies. But since I've gotten my second book published, and I'm on vacation until after New Year's, I have time to catch up on my crocheting and my movies and my blog...haha, yeah, I've been neglecting the blog too. I promise to keep it up as much as I humanly can!

In light of that, let's move on to my Top Ten Christmas Movies!

10. The Santa Clause. Even though I'm not a huge Tim Allen fan, these movies are cute. I happen to like Martin Short, so my favorite one is the third installment, so cleverly named The Santa Clause 3. It's clean family fun, and enjoyment for all ages.




9. Gremlins. Okay, I may be dating myself here, but I remember watching this movie when I was a little girl. How many of you even remember this movie? Now how many of you remember this is a Christmas movie? Yeah, I didn't either, till recently. With as much as I love this movie franchise, it's quickly become on of my new favorite Christmas movies. It also single-handedly spearheaded my obsession of Furbys.




8. The Nightmare Before Christmas. Tim Burton is the master of all that is dark and creepy and weird in the world of Hollywood. And I like dark and creepy and weird. So it should come as no surprise that the Tim Burton movie that weaved together two of my favorite holidays into one, then made it dark and weird and creepy, would be one of my favorite Christmas movies.




7. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Let's face it. The Griswold's are America's favorite dysfunctional family that has done all the stupid and outrageous things we have all done in our own families. The holidays are incomplete unless you watch Randy Quaid cause an explosion by dumping his RV tank into the sewer. And who doesn't love a turkey so dry it deflates and falls apart when you puncture it? Loads of slapstick laughs that make you appreciate your own dysfunctional family.




6. Santa's Slay. Many of you probably haven't heard of this one before. Well, that's because it wasn't a mainstream movie. I believe it went straight to video (or DVD, for you young whippersnappers that have never had to put the tape back into a VHS and pray it still works), and is not for the faint of heart. This comically dramatic movie is jam packed with violence. This makes Bad Santa look like Mother Theresa. And I freakin' love it.




5. Fred Claus. I'm a HUGE Vince Vaughn fan. Like, majorly. And when I found out he was doing a Christmas movie, I was immediately hooked. LOVE this movie. Vince Vaughn stars as Santa's screw-up big brother who almost ruins Christmas and closes down the whole toy factory in the North Pole. But in true Vince Vaughn fashion, a very heartwarming lesson is learned in the most hilarious way.




4. Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The debate rages on as to whether the cartoon or the live action version with Jim Carrey is the winner of the Grinchmas movies. I personally like the live action because of the higher quality (and budget) that is a bit more eye appealing. But then again, the cartoon version is a classic, the one we were all raised on, and it's really tough to beat a classic. Which do you think should win the battle?



VS.




3. Scrooged. I swear, just looking at Bill Murray makes me wanna giggle. He plays the asshole so well in this slightly more modern version of the classic Charles Dickens tale, A Christmas Carol. If it were redone for next Christmas (to commemorate the 25th anniversary, perhaps?), it would no doubt become another Christmas classic, however even this 1988 version is phenomenal. I love it. I watch it every year that it comes on.




2. Black Christmas. Yep. Another horror movie about Christmas. My hubby and I always go see a movie on Christmas Day to celebrate the anniversary of our first date (yes, it's really on Christmas) and this was the one and only time I got him to go see a Christmas movie with me. It's got gore, scares, and sorority girls getting mutilated by a serial killer. God bless dead sorority girls.




1. A Christmas Story. Okay, I have to jump on the bandwagon with this one. The kid is annoyingly cute and dorky, and while parts are dry and can be a bit boring, the scene where he drops the "F-Bomb," the dogs eating the turkey, the Chinese restaurant singers trying to sing Fa-rah-rah-rah-rahhhh, rah-rah-rah-rahhh, not to mention the infamous leg lamp...priceless moments.




There are so many more that didn't make the list, but these are my favorites. Feel free to share your own in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment