Monday, March 18, 2013

Author Interview: Sharon Sant






Hello again, my lovelies!! Today, The Penguin and I are pleased to introduce you to a blossoming new author, Sharon Sant! Sharon is the author of The Sky Song Trilogy; Sky Song and The Young Moon are the first two in the series. Let's get to know Sharon a bit more, shall we?







DPS: For starters, tell us a bit about you, we like to get to know our authors as a person!  

Sharon: As a teen I was obsessed with martial arts films and have a brown belt third dan in karate.  How’s that for a random fact to kick off?  It’s not something I generally reveal about myself, but I’m feeling reckless today!  I have two girls aged nine and eleven, love Chinese food and specialty teas, and find it practically impossible to sleep.  I’m a tiny little thing and my friends refer to me as Hobbit Girl (which I secretly quite like). I’m not sure how useful any of this information is! 


DSP: Nice to meet you! So tell us, where did you find the inspiration for your most recent book? 

Sharon: The idea for Sky Song came to me as a tale about a young girl whose father watched the skies every night.  She didn’t know why, but it soon became apparent to her that he watched for someone, rather than something.  The story just grew from there, but changed almost beyond recognition when the main character became a teenage boy. I’m not sure what sparked off the original idea, really, it just sort of appeared in my head. 


DSP: So, do you have any kind of ritual for writing? Such as, you have to write with music on, or you can only write when you’re completely alone, etc

Sharon: I have to have absolute silence, which is really dull.  I’d rather be alone but, in my house, that’s pretty much impossible.  I get up a lot to put the kettle on too, not necessarily because I want tea (although I do make it) but more to get the brain circulation going when I stall.  Weirdly, doing something else often helps, as does staring out of the window. 


DSP: Who is your favorite character in your book, and why? How about the character you had the most trouble with 

Sharon: I can’t recall having problems with any of the characters really.  Jacob has to be my favourite, as he’s the main man and the most complex, but I have a soft spot for his best friend, Luca.  Without meaning to, I think I made Luca a bit like me. 


DSP: Now, when you sit down to write a book, a paragraph, or whatever you‘re working on at the moment, do you just sit down in front of the computer, or do you need an outline of some sort? Is there any other prep you need in order to organize your thoughts either before you write or in the process of writing? 

Sharon: Mostly, I just sit down at the laptop and write.  I do scribble rough notes to remind myself of major plot points, or scenes that I’ve thought of that appear later than the section I’m working on, so that I can keep track of them. Most of it is in my head, though.  


DSP: Do you foresee any more books to continue this story? If so, do you think we can get a taste of what’s to come? 

Sharon: Actually, there are three books in the series.  The second, The Young Moon, has just been released.  The third book, Not of Our Sky, is due out in May.  All three books continue on the same story arc so it’s difficult to say much, apart from the fact that it spans more than two years so that Jacob starts off as a younger teen and ends up pretty much a man. 


DSP: Other than this most recent story, do you have any ideas for different books that might be published in the future? Care to give us a teaser? 

Sharon: I have another book due to be published by Immanion Press in June called Runners, which is a YA dystopian.  That’s almost finished, apart from final edits.  I also have a shorter book, more of a novella really, called The Memory Game, which I’m planning to get out in September.  I’ve put blurbs for both of those on my website so that I’ll be forced to finish them!  I’ve got lots of other works in progress, one I’m particularly excited about as it’s my first attempt at something historical, but I won’t say too much about that yet as I don’t want to jinx it!


DSP: Who is your greatest inspiration to write? What person makes you believe in yourself, and how? 

Sharon: I have lots of supportive friends that are too many to name here, but they know they are!  Not only do they support me and listen when I grumble, but they don’t let me forget that I need to put a foot in real life every now and again too. As for writers, although there are writers I admire, writing is something that I think was just always in me so I can’t say that anyone actually inspired me to start.  


DSP: Do you have any aspirations to be similar or comparable to another author? Why? 

Sharon: Again, although there are lots of authors I admire, I don’t aspire to be like any of them.  Really, I’m just happy doing my own thing and hope that people like it.  Whenever I do find myself comparing what I create to what someone else creates, invariably, I start to feel inferior and insecure, so I try not to and concentrate on making mine the best it can be. 


DSP: What has been the biggest high since becoming a published author?

Sharon: It has to be people talking about your characters like they actually matter.  I love that feeling. 


DSP: Have you named the computer you use for writing?

Sharon: No, but I should name it Mr Frosty for how many times it freezes! 


DSP: Has becoming an author changed you, or the way you think about certain things? If so, how?

Sharon: I’m not sure it has, really.  I’ve always had a skewed view of the world and that will never change! 


DSP: What is your greatest fear about being an author? 

Sharon: I think, like many authors, my biggest fear is that people will be disappointed by the next book. 


DSP: Which of the characters in your book do you feel is the most like yourself, and in what way?

Sharon: I mentioned Luca earlier.  He’s everybody’s friend who hides his insecurities behind his humour, but he also has a secret depth that he’s embarrassed to let people see. That pretty much sums me up.


DSP: From the first word to the moment it became available for purchase, how long did it take you to write and publish this most recent novel?

Sharon: Five years!  I began it in 2007 and the first draft was written really quickly, but it sat around for a long time while I did nothing with it.  The final edits were done late in 2012. 


And now, for something completely different…some slightly off-the-wall and possibly irrelevant questions that help us get to know you a little better. 


DSP: Are you planning to bring sexy back?

Sharon: I very much doubt it.  Have you seen my pyjamas? 


DSP: If you could be any cartoon character for 24 hours, who would you pick and why?

Sharon: I’d have to be the geeky wizard from Dungeons and Dragons.  As a kid I loved him. 


DSP: How many ridges are there around a quarter?

Sharon: Sorry, I deal in pounds and pence!


DSP: Do you believe in fate or destiny?

Sharon: Yes, but I also believe that you can influence them. 


DSP: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Sharon: I have no idea what you just said. 


DSP: What are your thoughts on string?

Sharon: Makes me think of quantum physics. 


DSP: Boxers or briefs?

Sharon: For men or me? 


DSP: Thong, g-string/v-string, or other? If other, please explain.

Sharon: I’m just going to refer you back to my pyjama statement! 


DSP: What is your favorite song?

Sharon: I have a different one every day.  Today it’s Bookends Theme by Simon and Garfunkel. 


DSP: Do you have any tattoos? If so, how many, what are they, and where are they on your body? (PG-13)

Sharon: I don’t have any but my friend is learning to tattoo and she wanted to practise on me.  I told her she could but now I’m avoiding her.  I don’t like pain! 


DSP: What’s your favorite candy? Ice cream?

Sharon: Haribo jelly sweets.  I’m not sure if you get them in the US. 


DSP: If you had to pick a CB handle, what would it be?

Sharon: Mrs Frodo. 


DSP: Would the 8-year-old version of yourself kick your ass or praise you for what you’ve done with your life?

Sharon: I would kick myself for taking so long to show anyone my writing. 


DSP: What is the last song you listened to?

Sharon: As my kids are in, it was probably something by One Direction. 


DSP: Do you have any talents you haven’t shared with us?

Sharon: I can sing, pretty well I’m told, though that’s probably a matter of opinion.  I made a record when I was nineteen, though. 


DSP: If you could meet one person (real or fictional, alive or deceased), who would it be, and what one question would you ask?

Sharon: The Doctor from Doctor Who.  I’d ask him if I could take a trip in the Tardis. 


DSP: Imagine you’re the sole survivor of a plane crash at sea, and you awake stranded on a deserted and uncharted island in the Bermuda Triangle. Nobody knows you’re there, and you have nothing but the clothes on your back. You’re all alone, and there’s terrifying sounds coming from deep within the jungle. Late that night as you’re starving, a large suitcase washes up on the shore. You open it up. What’s in the suitcase?

Sharon: A teleport device.  And maybe a pizza. 






Haha, I love the idea of a teleport device and pizza! That's using your creative noggin!! It's been a blast having you here today, Sharon, and thanks so much for taking the time out to spend with us. Best of luck in all your endeavors!

Don't forget to pick up a copy of Sharon's books, Sky Song and The Young Moon, at Amazon.com, and visit her website at http://sharonsant.com/ to keep up with all things Sharon Sant!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me, I loved the questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm so late replying! It was such fun having you, thanks so much for giving us the opportunity to get to know you and share in the journey! :) We hope to have you back in the future. :)

      Delete