Sunday, December 30, 2012

My Evolution into Crazy Cat Lady Who Misses 1999

Yup. Another year has flown by. Another twelve months of my life I'll never get back, so I can only hope like hell that I spent them well. (Yeah, I tried to reword that so it didn't rhyme, but I got nothing.) 

As this year ends and we witness the birth of another year, fresh and untainted by humanity, I know exactly how I'm going to ring in the New Year. I'm going to sit my ass on the couch and watch old movies until my hubby gets home, which should put us right around midnight, then I'll probably call it a night. 


Which brings me to the point of this post. Who the hell did I become, and why am I not partying the night away? I mean, it's not like I have NOTHING to celebrate, I survived the damn apocalypse, people! Hell yeah, I should be throwin' back drinks and dancing my ass off (seriously, it needs to go, like, NOW...), not curling up on the couch and going to bed early! I'm playing the part of an 80-year old lady who lives with thirty cats. What happened to me?


I think back to the year 1999. I was in LaGrange, and had gotten off work early. I was 16 years old, and on crutches, and I had made my way up to the courthouse lawn to party. Everyone was there, because, well, it was a big deal! Y2K! Holy monkeys, the world is gonna end, we better party like it's 1999-oh, wait, IT IS!! No, I really didn't have a whole lot of friends growing up, I'm too weird to have people stick around. but anyway, I was there, and the single most-played song of the night blaring from every speaker on the courthouse lawn was................






1999 by Prince!! 










I partied my rump off that year, and I was on crutches! Then I did go home and watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show for the first time (LOVE), which indicated an already deep seated fondness for older movies, but I still partied. 


And I remember when we rang in 2002. I was a college student (sort of) and dating a guy I had gone to high school with. He and I and a couple of my friends had gone to a party, and I had no clue at the time as to where it was or who's house we were at, I only knew I was underage and drinking, and the guy I was dating was going to town on the alcohol. I don't remember exactly why, cause let's face it, it was a few years ago, but we got into a fight and my friends and I left. We went to one of their houses, and their parents were gone, so we busted out the Jack, some champagne, and something else, and I took care of that Jack pretty well, considering the fight I'd had and sudden change in plans. But I still had fun hanging out with my girls, and we drank till we passed out. Or until I did. I don't remember much. 


Those days-THOSE days-were fun as hell. So now, why is it that I would much rather ring in the New Year with my hubby and old movies than with a bottle of alcohol and dancing? Well, I suppose part of it is getting older. Priorities change, and eventually things that used to be important-like getting drunk and dancing-are so far down your list that you forget about them sometimes. Part of it all is just that people change. So much so, that even as recent as 6 months ago I would rather go out bowling or out to the movies, or anything to get out of the house with my hubby or my friends. Now, however, when the idea of what to do comes up, I prefer watching movies at home in my pj's over the theater. I prefer coffee to vodka or Jack. I prefer playing card games or killing zombies on the Playstation 3 over bowling or clubbing. I prefer staying in to going out 3/5 times. It's not that those other things aren't fun anymore, it's just that my life and my preferences have changed and adapted to my situation. I evolved.






Evolution, my friends, is the foundation upon which our entire civilization is built.






Now I don't feel as though I'm wasting a celebration. Happy New Year, everybody. Be safe and have fun!!







Oh, and beware the zombie evolution...those bastards just won't stay dead.



16 comments:

  1. Cat Lady status - it happens to the best of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sadly I think you are very right, Jennifer!! Although worse things could happen, so I'll be grateful for my Cat Lady status. Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year!!

      Delete