Friday, December 21, 2012

Friday's Daily Top Ten - Things That Make Me Smile

I have arrived at the conclusion that I will never catch up from the hectic insanity of this week, so instead, I'm  holding my head up, pulling myself out of this stupid funk, and announcing that Daughters of Night: Possession, will have to be postponed for at least one more day, and we're kind of playing it by ear right now so I'll just surprise everyone when it's ready. I'm also just moving forward instead of playing catch-up on my Daily Top Ten posts, because there's no use in trying to cram another one in and not give it fair attention. 

So, now that I got that off my chest, please enjoy Friday's Top Ten - Things That Make Me Smile (Christmas Remix).


10. Decorating. Yes, I do realize the opposite was in yesterday's post about pet peeves. That's because putting up the decorations is freaking fun, while taking them down is a nightmare. I simply love putting up the wall clings and window clings, the lights outside (although the horrendous wind yesterday forced my outside lights down), the Christmas tree, lighting candles, switching out the fake flowers and candleholders for winter appropriate decor...and then we break out the yummy Christmas candles that make the whole house smell like and edible heaven. Yes. I love decorating.

9. Yummy Christmas goodies. Whether it's Christmas cookies, horrible fruitcake, pepermint blizzards, gingerbread mocha frappes, whatever. Even if I don't like the taste, the smell is divine. Oh, and let us not forget the ten thousand times we're going to be eating on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Oh, we are gonna get so FAT...

8. Hot chocolate. Christmastime is when I typically start drinking hot chocolate. I did have a mug of it on Halloween this year, but that's because I was dressed up handing out candy for two hours in a ripped up t-shirt and jeans while covered with coagulating fake blood. Needless to say, I still woke up sick the next morning. But this is when my mugs start getting used. I LOVE hot chocolate, especially with the little marshmallows, and it's great for cuddling up on cold Christmastime nights in front of a fire or a TV with the tree lit up and the candles burning...ohmigosh, it's awesome. 

7. Candy Canes. Oh. Em. Gee. Have you ever been able to be angry when you're eating a candy cane? I mean, come on, folks. You gotta give that hook-shaped Christmas delight credit. Unless, of course, you don't like peppermint. In which case, I feel for you, because you just do NOT know what you're missing.

6. Snow. Now, anyone who knows me at all knows I typically hate snow. This is mostly true. But we have to narrow this down just a bit. I hate DRIVING in snow. I hate scraping it off of my car (before I had a garage). I hate being cold, and snow is cold. But what a lot of people don't realize is that I think snow is beautiful. I love to look at it, and I actually love playing in it as long as I'm bundled up enough to not get too cold. Watching the pure, innocent falling snow as it gently floats to the earth, blanketing the world with immaculate white kisses is magic. Okay, maybe that was a bit much, but you get the point. It's pretty.

5. Christmas music. Now, I am going to red flag this one with a giant neon sign that warns "IN MODERATION!!!" When the Christmas music starts playing before Halloween, I hate it. Starting the day after Thanksgiving, I'm good as long as I'm not being bombarded nonstop. I still like my country, rock, alternative, and a little pop music, and I'm not willing to completely give that up for Christmas music all day every day, but I do enjoy it when I'm decorating or wrapping gifts. Or painting. Courtesy of Aly.

4. Spending quality time with family and friends. There are so many gatherings that are going to suck, but the good ones are so worth it. The joy on the kiddo's faces, the love between a couple, the excitement of new babies...they really make the holidays worthwhile. Honestly, would you celebrate Christmas if you had to celebrate all alone? Didn't think so.

3. Giving gifts. I intentionally put this one on here because we all know the "reason for the season" and all that stuff, but what really makes you feel like a good person is giving people gifts that you just KNOW they're going to love. And even if they don't, they usually fake it and you still walk away feelin' like the bees knees.

2. Christmas movies. Now, you'll see a post about my favorite Christmas movies soon, but I love watching all the best Christmas movies. A Christmas Story, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Nightmare Before Christmas, Black Christmas, Bad Santa...but that's another post. The point here is that you snuggle up with your loved ones-or even alone-and watch these awesome Christmas movies that you wait all year to see. It's a snuggly good time.

1. Christmas breakfast. Some of you right now are scratching your heads and thinking I'm stupid. Well, hang on just a minute longer, let me explain. Every year on Christmas Eve we go to my grandmother's house for the big family gathering, but on Christmas morning, my hubby and I make the 45 min drive to my mom's house at the butt crack of dawn to watch the kids open gifts, and while the little ones take a few of their toys upstairs and beg the rest of us to open at least four gifts each, my sweet mommy goes in and fixes a hugantinormouslytastic breakfast. It's so flippin' good I had to create another soon-to-be-famous word for it. I wait for this breakfast for 365 days. Like clockwork. It's like she plans it or something......

Anywho, that's it for today, catch me tomorrow for a new Daily Top Ten list!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment