Saturday, May 11, 2013

Review: The Bionics by Alicia Michaels


Look at that, time for another review!! I'm knocking these babies out left and right. :) 

This time, I read The Bionics, by Alicia Michaels, a Sci-Fi/Dystopian book set in the future of America, in a world I would most definitely not want to be around to see. Here's a bit about the book!



"All I ever wanted was to be a normal girl. I had dreams of joining the ranks of the Military Police and making my family proud. But the nuclear war that laid waste to our country destroyed any hope I had of being normal ever again. They took everything away from me, including my humanity. I am now half-human, half-machine, part of the never-ending freak show that is the Restoration Project.

They hate what they created and they fear us for being powerful.

And so they hunt us, destroying our lives so that they can bury what they built. What they don’t know is this: there is a Resistance out there and The Bionics aren’t going down without a fight.



**Due to coarse language and mild sexual innuendo, this story is not recommended for teens under the age of sixteen.**"



And on with the review!! Enjoy. :)


This book was given to me by the author for an honest review.

The future looks grim, especially if you’re a victim of the program created by a government that now resents those same victims they created. Known as the Bionics, men, women, and children who suffered the loss of limbs, organs, and even skin in the nuclear war are now outlaws whose only hope is the Resistance. That’s where Blythe comes into play, rescuing the refugee Bionics, saving them from a death sentence if caught by Military Police. 

One of the first things I noticed about this book is the very real possibility of these actual events occurring, perhaps much sooner than the year in which this story takes place. There are many factors in the scene that make this story seem much more real than others of its genre. The author does a wonderful job of opening the story with action, captivating the reader from the first page, and keeping that energy throughout the rest of the book. I absolutely loved the tension, the descriptions, and the inner struggles Blythe has going on inside her head. One downside to this story is that it’s quite short and the reader is left wanting more of the story. But that’s not really such a bad thing, since I’m certain the action picks right back up in book 2 of the series. I do wish there was a little more background given on some of the characters, like Dax. I’d love to know more about his story and how he came to be in the resistance, and perhaps a little more background on how the Resistance itself came about. Some details are provided, but the reader is still left with just a few questions. I don’t feel it really takes away from the quality of the story, however, it’s just something I would have liked to see more of. 

I’m really looking forward to reading the second book in this series, because the author did such a great job setting up the tension that I’m craving more. I would definitely give this 4/5 stars, and would be 5 had there been just a little more background to the story.

Reviewed by Ashley T of Fae Books.


No comments:

Post a Comment