Friday, July 19, 2013

Author Interview - Emily Godwin

Hey everyone!! You may remember a while back we were graced with an interview with Nikki Godwin. Well, today we get the opportunity to meet her awesome sister, Emily Godwin, author of Behind the Wooden Door and the most recently released novel Mutilate My Heart. Epic!! 

Okay, so first, a little about Emily's book, Mutilate My Heart:


THE BOOK


Punk rock band Mutilated Arteries has been seventeen-year-old Becca's world (aka obsession) for the last year. When the band schedules a concert in her hometown, she and her best friend Carli are the first ones in line to buy tickets. The night is everything she expects it to be and more, especially after making friends with the new super-cute bassist, Sketch. 
Becca's mom warns her not to fall for a rock star because rock stars are always on the road - or they die in a plane crash, like her mom's favorite band did twenty-something years ago. But after the band's tour bus breaks down and they're stuck hanging out in Roizen Hills for a week, it's hard for Becca not to fall for Sketch and his caricature drawings and toxic green eyes. 
Becca knows Sketch is leaving as soon as the bus is fixed, and she can't be his fan-turned-girlfriend anyway because of the lead singer's "No Girlfriends" rule. Plus, there's something strange about the guys that Becca can't quite decipher... like how they won't reveal their real names, their always-changing odd appearances, and the guitarist's obsession with blood and zombies. Still, Becca wants nothing more than for Sketch to mutilate her heart...but it just might not be in a way she expects.

I'm a sucker for a good story, and this one sounds amazing. Let's meet the mastermind behind this creation!!


THE GENIUS








Emily Godwin is a Young Adult author. She enjoys writing, painting, and sewing her own line of non-evil voodoo dolls. She's a Slytherin, trying to disguise herself as a Hufflepuff, and wishes she could read herself into books.








THE INTERVIEW



DSP: For starters, tell us a bit about you, we like to get to know our authors as a person!

Emily: My name is Emily Godwin. I love all things emerald green. I’m the twenty-year-old who doesn’t miss an episode of Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated, and if I had gone to Hogwarts, I’d have been in Slytherin.


DSP: Nice to meet you! So tell us, where did you find the inspiration for your most recent book?

Emily: Well I was reading a series back when I was in my freshman year of high school (so that's been 4 closer to five years ago), and in the sixth or seventh book, it lightly touched on a certain element, and all these years later, I thought about that series and re-read that book and thought it would be an amazing story if said element was in the forefront. So, I let my imagination take over and made my own story. (This was hard to answer without spoilers!)


DSP: So, do you have any kind of ritual for writing? Such as, you have to write with music on, or you can only write when you’re completely alone, etc?

Emily: When I write, I prefer my room to be dark with only my laptop and a candle for light. I usually have a song that fits the scene I’m writing playing in the background.


DSP: Who is your favorite character in your book, and why? How about the character you had the most trouble with?

Emily: The easiest character for me to write in my most recent book was Carli Gray. She’s very much like my sister, Nikki, and was just a really fun, out-going character. The hardest character for me to write was my love interest Sketch. My first book, Behind The Wooden Door, had a very sarcastic/moody love interest. Sketch was the complete opposite, and I wasn’t exactly sure how to react to that.


DSP: Now, when you sit down to write a book, a paragraph, or whatever you‘re working on at the moment, do you just sit down in front of the computer, or do you need an outline of some sort? Is there any other prep you need in order to organize your thoughts either before you write or in the process of writing?

Emily: I definitely need some sort of outline or I get myself psyched and won’t write it at all.


DSP: Do you foresee any more books to continue this story? If so, do you think we can get a taste of what’s to come?

Emily: There will most definitely be a sequel, and it’s looking like there will also be two prequels to go along with it.


DSP: From the first word to the moment it became available for purchase, how long did it take you to write and publish this most recent novel?

Emily: It took me just a little over five months to write and a month to get it completely edited and published


DSP: What is the last song you listened to?

Emily: “Wonderland” by Alex Carpenter and Jason Munday


DSP: Do you have any talents you haven’t shared with us?

Emily: I sew my own little dolls that resemble voodoo dolls.


DSP: If you could meet one person (real or fictional, alive or deceased), who would it be, and what one question would you ask?

Emily: Miles Garrett from Nikki Godwin’s book Chasing Forever Down. My one question would be “Will you marry me?” :D


DSP: Would the 8-year-old version of yourself kick your ass or praise you for what you’ve done with your life?

Emily: She would totally kick my ass.


DSP: Imagine you’re the sole survivor of a plane crash at sea, and you awake stranded on a deserted and uncharted island in the Bermuda Triangle. Nobody knows you’re there, and you have nothing but the clothes on your back. You’re all alone, and there’s terrifying sounds coming from deep within the jungle. Late that night as you’re starving, a large suitcase washes up on the shore. You open it up. What’s in the suitcase?


Emily: A lamp with a genie in it so I could wish to get back to civilization! 


Well, I'd say that's a sensible wish, and don't worry Emily, the 8-year-old Ashley would give me Indian Burns (pardon the term) and noogies. I was supposed to be a psychologist-kinda went the other way on that one and turned out completely crazy!!

Make sure you pick up Emily's books and keep up with all the new and upcoming happenings with Emily Godwin at some of her links. And what a coincidence, I have them right here!!



THE LINKS



Links for Emily

Buy Links



So it's been a true pleasure getting to know Emily, and I can't wait to see what she cranks out next! Best of luck, Emily!



THE END


No comments:

Post a Comment